- 1 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup Brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk (or your favorite milk substitute!)
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Your favorite ginger bread decorations!
Beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, and molasses in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon, until well mixed. Stir in egg and milk (or milk substitute) until blended. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until firm.
Heat oven to 350°F. Roll dough on floured non-stick surface to about 1/8 inch thickness, roll dough out half at a time. Cut with floured 2 1/2inch gingerbread man (or woman) cookie-cutters, or use your favorite ginger bread house pattern. Place at least 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 6 to 7 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet and place on cooling rack (or wooden cutting board); let cool to room temperature.
Decorate and enjoy!