Did you celebrate St. Patrick's Day this year with a big pan or crock pot of corned beef and cabbage? And now you have leftovers, so what are you going to do with them?
Well we have the perfect recipe for you, Corned Beef Grilled Cheese!
You can transform your leftover corned beef and cabbage into the ultimate comfort food, with a few simple tweaks.
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dark beer (Guinness works nicely )
- 8 -10 ounces leftover Corned Beef
- 1 tablespoon of your preferred mustard
- 2 cups shredded Gouda or Gruyere Cheese
- Marble rye bread or dark rye bread
- butter for grilling sandwiches
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cabbage and sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 10.
- Add Guinness and cook until liquid turns slightly syrupy.
- Remove from heat. Mix in the corned beef slices.
- On 4 slices of bread, add mustard, layer the cheese, add corned beef and cabbage and onion mixture. Top with another 4 slices of bread.
- On a griddle or large pan, melt some butter and grill the sandwiches until lightly browned and crispy on both sides and cheese is melted.